Testosterone, the primary sex hormone in men is responsible for the development of primary and secondary sexual characteristics in men. When levels of testosterone fall, it can have a profound physical and psychological effect on men. One such impact is erectile dysfunction. Normal levels range from 300 ng/dl to 1000 ng/dl and in older men the testosterone level decreases. Low testosterone is found in men with hypogonadism – condition where gonads (testis and ovaries) are unable to produce the normal amount of hormones.
Low testosterone cure
Can be started by understanding the lifestyle of the man. Lifestyle plays a vital role in assessment and treatment for low testosterone.
- Get enough sleep: Getting enough sleep is the most important factor. Lack of sleep affects a lot of hormones in the body. Having 7-8 hours of sleep per night is the prior step for low testosterone cure.
- Have healthy weight: Obesity can alter testosterone levels. Stay fit and lose the extra weight can get back the testosterone levels to normal.
- Exercise: Body needs to be active. Testosterone adopts to body’s needs. When you are physically active the brain sends signals to release of more testosterone to bolster your muscles. But don’t go extreme levels of exercise. A 20 minute walk daily or few weight lifting sessions daily will be sufficient.
- Stress Control: Control stress is not just low testosterone cure but also cure for major diseases. Reduce long working hours. If you are unable to control stress, consult a psychologist.
- Check medications: One of the side effect of the medicines and some cases steroids can be fall in testosterone levels. Consult your doctor before you like to make adjustments to your treatment.
We have Dr. Purna Sreeramaneni sharing his insights on testosterone replacement therapy.
Don’t go for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) without consulting a doctor. Once you go for TRT, you cannot father a child. The level of testosterone dose to be given depends on your current testosterone levels in the body. Don’t fall for the counterfeit drugs and medicines that boast about low testosterone cure in the market. Always consult a urologist or an endocrinologist.