With the introduction of i-pill the freedom to express sexuality has grown multi-folds especially among the Indian youth. There have been many instances where people are anxious to know if they went too far or were too careless to land up being pregnant (Disclaimer: this post is for medical purpose, not to raise any debate). As the mean age of being sexually active is dropping rapidly, adequate dissemination of much needed sex education is not there. And many times even if we are well informed, the anxiety adds to the confusion and no one wants to take any type of risk.
Before we go for the activities, one should know that having sex during the fertile days in a woman’s cycle will lead to pregnancy. Pregnancy is technically possible during the five days before ovulation through to the day of ovulation. These six days are the ‘fertile window’ in a woman’s cycle, and reflect the lifespan of sperm (5 days) and the lifespan of the ovum (24 hours).
If a woman has sex six or more days before she ovulates, the chances that she will get pregnant is virtually zero. If she has sex five days before she ovulates, her probability of pregnancy is about 10%.
At the end of the ‘fertile window’, the probability of pregnancy declines rapidly and by 12-24 hours after she ovulates, a woman is no longer able to get pregnant during that cycle.
Activities with absolutely zero chance:
- When you only kiss each other: No matter how long or how deep the couple are involved in kissing, there is zero chance of pregnancy
- Have only oral sex: The sperms have to travel through your vagina and they cannot reach the uterus through the mouth. Ejaculation in mouth doesn’t cause pregnancy.
- Sleeping in the same bed and not doing anything sexual, will not get you pregnant (even if the man has an erection)
- Dry humping or rubbing your genitals together with proper clothes on can get a man to orgasm. But ejaculation when both were wearing thick clothing is a safe deal. If there are no clothes in between and he ejaculated but very far from vaginal opening like near vulva chances are slim (if on stomach or still farther from vagina, then zero chance)
- Using condom (provided condom is undamaged, within expiry date): Even if you had proper penile-vagina intercourse but with protection like with a condom provided it is undamaged condom, within expiration date, properly removed away from vulva; you are pretty safe.
- Use contraception: Contraceptives have an extremely good protection rate (condoms being over 97% effective) and no additional steps have to be taken.
- Ejaculation near vaginal opening naked or with really thin clothing like underwear is a little riskier and you might want to be on a lookout for any delay in your period. Depending on the day of your cycle (if between 10th and 16th day-fertile period) you can go for an emergency contraceptive pill within 72 hours of sex but you should talk to a gynecologist first as these pills have side effects.
- Having sex relying on withdrawal method only, that is pulling out just before ejaculation is not safe at all and has high failure rate. The pre-ejaculate secretions also contain sperms that can get you pregnant even if you do manage to pull out exactly on time which itself is very difficult to do.
- If the condom breaks during sex, it is considered unprotected sex and the risk of pregnancy is almost equal to not using condom at all. This is assuming there is no other contraceptive used simultaneously like birth control pills.
- You have penile-vaginal intercourse with no protection at all and ejaculate right inside her vagina.
All these high risk situations demand the use of emergency contraceptive pill (that is usually high dose progesterone or a combination of it with estrogen) within 72 hours of intercourse.
But, when you take oral contraceptive pills remember the following:
- Birth control pills are harmful if take more than twice in a month
- Birth control pills do not prevent you from STD
- It is not advisable if you have high blood pressure, high cholesterol
Any doubts should be cleared with a doctor and they maintain anonymity so do not hesitate to approach them better than putting yourself in harm.