Many men complaint of early discharge to such extent that they cannot enjoy sex. Their partners are also irritated and disturbed by short duration of intercourse. We call it Premature Ejaculation (PE).
Is it a serious illness?
Unlike erectile dysfunction, PE is not usually related to any serious diseases.
(remember erectile dysfunction can be sign of early heart disease or diabetes).
It can affect your family relationship. In severe cases, it may be responsible for infertility.
What is early ejaculation or PE?
You are having PE if you ejaculate within a minute or before penetration. Thus you are unable to enjoy sex and may try to avoid intercourse due to this fear and you have lost ability to control the ejaculation. The problem may even occur during masturbation.
In few cases, PE can occur from time beginning with your first sexual encounters. This is lifelong PE. Other situation is acquired PE, which has the same symptoms but develops after you’ve had previous sexual experiences without ejaculatory problems.
But whatever be the problem, it is treatable and in some men it may take some time.
What are the causes of PE?
- It may be due to anxiety or stress. Many men with relationship problems with their partners or wife feel this problem. But make sure that it’s not due to Erectile Dysfunction (ED).
- Men who are anxious about obtaining or maintaining an erection during sexual intercourse may form a pattern of rushing to ejaculate, which can be difficult to change.
- Smoking and alcohol can worsen the problems.
- Some other diseases may sometimes be responsible- like prostatitis (infection of the prostate gland), problems in nerves supplying the penis, problems in some hormones and rarely diabetes.
So, it’s important to pinpoint the cause so that the treatment can be started sooner and easily.
How to increase the timing?
Initially you can try home-remedies.
- Avoid anxiety and stress.
- Reduce alcohol and stop smoking.
- Other simple strategies are avoiding intercourse for 2-3 days so that you can achieve better control in it.
- Alternatively, you can try masturbation one or two hours before actual intercourse so that the discharge can be delayed.
- You can try squeeze and release technique (squeezing the penis when you feel urge to ejaculate)
- Using thick condoms can help some men by reducing sensitivity.
If these do not work, you should consult your doctor.
Why should I consult doctor for PE?
There are advertisements of various drugs in newspaper, TV and roadside herbal cures that boast to increase your stamina by 20 minutes. NEVER fall for such drugs. If you try these, you can damage your sex organs or sex life as a whole. Because, these are untested medicines or oil and it is not known how they work. Moreover, we do not know how far they are safe.
If home-strategies do not work, get rid of hesitancy and consult doctor. Your doctor may ask you some questions but please be free to reply to them, however embarrassing these might be.
He may examine you to find out the cause of this PE. It is important to be sure that you are not having any ED, for which separate treatment is needed. Often counseling and talking to doctor help a lot.
ED is difficult to maintain the erection, PME is ejaculating early.
He may help you to perform some exercises and follow some tips properly. If you cannot do these exercises properly, these will be of no benefit.
Finally, your doctor may give you some drugs or ointments to improve your performance. It is important to follow doctor’s advice properly- to take drugs in prescribed doses and timing.
Usually men with secondary or acquired PE improve faster than men with primary PE.
You and your partner have full right to enjoy sex for the duration as you want. Do not disappoint yourself and your partner. If you feel that you cannot control your early discharge, do not feel embarrassed. Get cured. Stay Happy.